The Graphic Designer position is a mid-level working role, functioning in a creative team environment with other designers, writers, and project managers on a variety of projects and assignments as directed by the Director of Creative Services and the Senior Graphic Designer and Production Manager. This position creates and designs art, graphics, and other materials in a wide variety of formats for print and digital media. This position creates client-facing materials and oversees the design aspect of projects from conception to completion in a deadline driven, fast-paced environment. The role also serves as a liaison with print and mailing vendors.
Colorado Christian University is the premier interdenominational Christian university in Colorado and the Rocky Mountain region, delivering world class education to thousands of students. The fully accredited, nonprofit University is located in Lakewood, Colorado, a suburb of Denver.
Colorado Christian University was founded in 1914. CCU’s motto is--grace and truth. This motto comes from John 1.14: “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (ESV)
CCUs mission is Christ-centered higher education transforming students to impact the world with grace and truth.
Colorado Christian University cultivates knowledge and love of God in a Christ-centered community of learners and scholars, with an enduring commitment to the integration of exemplary academics, spiritual formation, and engagement with the world. We envision graduates who think critically and creatively, lead with high ethical and professional standards, embody the character and compassion of Jesus Christ, treasure the gospel, and who thereby are prepared to impact the world in their callings.
CCU embraces an educational model that was present at the foundation of many of the great western and American universities. It is made up of three pillars—competence, character and Christ-centered faith. Secular universities have abandoned two of those pillars. We think this is a major oversight that eventually undermines education. Furthermore, we believe this classical educational model is both life-giving and greatly needed in our time.
A leader in higher education, CCU has been consistently ranked in the top 2 percent of colleges and universities nationwide for its core curriculum by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni. CCU has had ten consecutive years of enrollment growth and has been named one of the five fastest-growing master’s granting universities by The Chronicle of Higher Education.
CCU offers more than 100 degree program options for traditional and adult students through its two colleges — the College of Undergraduate Studies and College of Adult and Graduate Studies. More than 9,000 students attend the University on the main campus, in regional centers throughout Colorado, and online.
What is most appealing about working at CCU?
• Faith-friendly: CCU’s culture is unique to higher education. Where else can you pursue academic excellence yet read the Holy Bible, pray with teammates and students at work, and work to impact our culture in support of Christian values?
• Convictionally Christian: As a university, we have an enduring commitment to Christ, his kingdom and the truth of God’s Word.
• Live out your calling: We are a traditional evangelical university where you can invest your God-given talents and abilities alongside coworkers and teammates, while having a profound influence on students as they deepen their relationship with Jesus Christ.
• Equip students for kingdom work: You can be a part of helping students discover their callings and preparing them for positions of significant leadership in the church, business, government, education, and other professions, as a key part of our Universitys Strategic Priorities.
We’re looking for candidates who have:
• A bachelor’s degree in graphic design and five or more years of graphic design work with an emphasis in developing creative strategies.
• Experience in using design software on a MAC-based system, including but not limited to: Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
• Experience in print production for higher education or other non-profit is a plus. A visual portfolio of completed past projects is required.
• Strong attention to detail and proofing skills on projects required.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent presentation skills.
• Professional demeanor and ability to work in a fast-paced office.
• Ability and experience self-managing projects.
Key Job Duties:
Contribute to CCU’s mission: CCU provides Christ-centered higher education to transform students to impact the world with grace and truth. The Graphic Designer contributes to this mission by using their design skills and ability to solve problems and tell the CCU story through compelling print and digital media.
• Communicate and design within the University-wide branding process, as well as the adherence to visual identity/branding guidelines.
• Create quality original artwork or edit existing artwork for all CCU departments and internal clients that align with corporate identity and brand standards.
• Take part in brainstorm sessions and develop creative strategies for new campaigns and projects.
• Conduct continual skills development and design trend research.
• Complete additional projects as assigned by the Senior Graphic Designer and Production Manager.
• Work closely with project managers and other members of the Communications and Creative Services team to ensure timely delivery within brand standards.
• Assist in managing the full design production processes for the University, working with print vendors to ensure final aspects of the design workflow process and printing are delivered on time and within budget.
• Prepare Request For Quotes (RFQ) and acquire print bids from vendors for quote. Effectively communicate with CCU project managers and vendors regarding delivery timelines, etc.
• Offer printing recommendations based on an understanding of the difference between offset and digital printing and to maximize results for the internal client.
• Package artwork and upload to vendor File Transfer Protocol (FTP) sites.
• Review color proofs for design and text accuracy.
• Manage all design files including: InDesign files, PDF proofs, RFQs, vendor estimates, and other design-related files and materials.
• Recommend effective designs according to postal regulations, as well the best postage choice for a client in order to maximize impact of direct mail pieces.
While performing the duties of this job, you may be required to walk, stand, sit, reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, speak with clarity, and have appropriate vision and hearing capabilities. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Colorado Christian University expects all faculty and staff to become a part of the University community by participating in activities and events that occur on the campus throughout the year, which may occur during evenings and weekends.
What we offer our employees:
We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages to all employees. Our benefit package includes: a tuition waiver program, excellent healthcare, generous paid time off, matching 403(b) retirement plan, and additional organizational paid benefits and voluntary benefit offerings.
Colorado Christian University’s pay philosophy is based on internal and external data for pay equity; along with budgetary considerations for effective stewardship. Pay will be assigned based on relevant experience. We reserve the right to pay an equitable rate that we believe is within our salary structure or that may fit a candidate’s qualifications or experience for the job. A wage range posted is not a guarantee of a specific wage range for a job offer. CCU reserves the right to make pay decisions based on economic and equity considerations to attract the best possible talent. CCU does not determine pay based on sex or any other protected status