Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square is looking for an experienced legal executive to lead the Square Seller legal team (25+ people). You will lead, manage, and develop an experienced global team of product, regulatory, commercial, and international counsel to support Squares growing Seller ecosystem. You will work on a diverse range of legal issues and projects related to Squares core business offerings, including payment and financial services, payroll services, lending products, and SaaS, ecommerce, customer and employee management products. You will provide business-focused legal guidance that manages legal risk and ensures regulatory compliance, while unlocking business development. As Square expands our product offerings and geographic footprint, your leadership and ideas will make an immediate impact. You will be part of the Square Legal leadership team and will report directly to the General Counsel.
• Cultivate and guide Square Sellers legal strategy across several subject matters, including payments, lending, consumer protection, privacy and data protection, IP, marketing, and ecommerce to manage legal risk and ensure regulatory compliance while pushing forward business development
• Lead and develop teams responsible for:
• Advising product and engineering teams on legal issues related to Squares ecosystem of products and features throughout the product development to launch lifecycle;
• Drafting and negotiating commercial legal transactions, including payment services, sales and strategic development, partnership, hardware manufacturing, procurement, and data processing agreements;
• Providing regulatory guidance on Squares products to cross-functional legal and business partners on laws and industry trends relevant to banking, financial services, and consumer and small business credit products; and
• Advising local business stakeholders on and overseeing all aspects of international legal compliance of Squares services offered in Canada, the UK, Australia, and Japan and Europe.
• Work with business and legal partners to manage risk and unblock legal hurdles
• Partner with senior management and executive leaders to provide strategic, practical, and creative legal advice that contributes to amazing product experiences for customers while mitigating legal risks
• Advise on or manage your team in supporting strategic growth projects, including M&A or other transactions affecting the Seller business
• Manage and lead different legal operations programs, including creating training materials, developing scalable processes and knowledge management systems, and budgeting
• Chart the strategic direction of the team as we expand product offerings and move into new global jurisdictions
• Be a thought leader for the Counsel leadership team, contributing to legal strategy, company priorities, and team development
• A minimum of 12 years of combined relevant experience in law firms, governmental agencies, or in-house legal departments
• Experience managing teams of lawyers and legal professionals, including team budgeting, strategic planning, and career development
• Experience launching products and advising on the legal and regulatory aspects of product development in the technology space
• Excellent commercial negotiation and drafting skills
• Strong executive communication skills (both written and verbal)
• An active membership in at least one US state bar
• Prior experience in fintech preferred
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
• Healthcare coverage
• Retirement Plans
• Employee Stock Purchase Program
• Wellness perks
• Paid parental leave
• Paid time off
• Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Squares purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK