Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Manager/Principal
Business Unit: Information Technology
Information Technology (IT) is a unified organization comprised of various departments which collaborate effectively to deliver high-quality technology solutions.
We are seeking an experienced cloud architect to work in a fast-paced and dynamic cloud engineering team. The successful candidate will facilitate PG&Es business vision by improving infrastructure and platforms that all PG&E employees use to design, collaborate and build great customer experiences; accelerate the transformation of cloud services to public and private cloud-based platforms and services; provide cloud leadership for those involved in the design, development, testing, implementation, maintenance, support, and operations of PG&Es systems infrastructure.
A critical part of how we operate is to apply design thinking, innovate, and work collaboratively using agile development practices. Through these principles, we work as product teams to help deliver valuable cloud products to our business partners.
• Partner with architecture and product teams to craft highly scalable, flexible and resilient cloud architectures that address customer business problems and accelerate the adoption of cloud services
• Designs and implements complex architectural solutions using AWS design principles, best practices and industry standards
• Leads re-architecture of large existing applications on Cloud to AWS and lift and shift of existing on-premises applications and data to AWS/cloud
• Leads unique and complex analysis of application portfolios, identifies dependencies & common infrastructure platform components, and assesses migration feasibility
• Partners with IT organization to integrate cloud infrastructure / network environment with corporate infrastructure / data center environment
• Leads the design of complex reference Architecture and provides input to the DevOps team for implementation of codified stacks that meet the needs of the applications
• Assist with the design and implementation of cloud governance capabilities to ensure security and compliance across multiple cloud platforms.
• Coach, teach and advocate for the adoption of infrastructure automation and continuous deployment for teams adopting cloud
• Keep up to date with and evaluate new and emerging cloud technologies, services, and tools in search of innovative new capabilities.
• 10 years of IT experience
• 7 years of architecture or software development experience
• 3 years’ experience using Amazon Web Services (AWS) to architect and deploy reliable, cost-effective, scalable, and secure cloud native solutions
• Experience working in an agile / scrum environment
• Master’s degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
• 3 years of experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Automation tools and REST API’s
• Experience with one or more CICD and DevOps tools but not limited to Jenkins, GitHub, JFrog
• Experience with test-driven development frameworks for application and infrastructure code
• Experience in Infrastructure as automation tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation, AWS CLI
• Experience in building large distributed systems and supporting highly available applications
• Experience with tooling to support monitoring, telemetry, logging, and reporting/ dashboarding technologies
• AWS Professional or Specialty Certification, or equivalent Cloud platform certification
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
• Deep understanding of cloud computing technologies and workload transition challenges
• Knowledge of AWS Well Architected Framework and Cloud migration industry standards and best practices
• Skilled in at least one language: C , Java, Python, Ruby, etc.
• Adherence (and preferably set benchmark for others) for coding standards and also secure coding practices, use of encryption
• Technical writing skills for documenting environments and procedures
• Understanding of and experience with cloud identity and access management (IAM) concepts and services
• Experience and in the following areas: Sys admin in OS platforms (Linux/Unix, Windows); firm grasp of networking fundamentals such as DNS, HTTP, TCP/IP
• Working knowledge of key cloud security concepts including network, identity, compute, visibility and compliance, and the shared responsibility model.
• Knowledge of Agile software development principles, values, concepts, methods, best practices, and techniques as needed to perform at the job level
• Ability to innovate and adopt new approaches, technologies and solutions working with various subject matter experts and leaders
• Ability to communicate, present and influence effectively with officers and with leaders inside and outside of the department and line of business