PPD’s mission is to improve health. It starts as an idea to find a cure. It becomes a life saved. All in-between, it’s you! We know that meaningful results not only require the right approach, but also the right people. We invite you to re-imagine health promoting protocols with us, working alongside our talented, bright and energetic teams.
Our global Clinical department consists of colleagues with institutional knowledge, in-depth therapeutic experience, and robust operational tools. Together, we help clients define and develop clinical programs, minimize delays and execute high-quality, cost-efficient clinical studies.
As a manager at PPD, you will oversee daily line management responsibilities of an assigned team and serve as positive leadership and professional role model for respective staff.
At PPD we hire the best, develop ourselves and each other, and recognize the power of being one team. We offer continued career advancement opportunities, award winning training and benefits focused on the health and wellbeing of our employees.
Manages, selects, trains, resources, coaches and performance management of respective staff, which may be inclusive of CRAs, PAs, RSMs and other clinical focused staff. Focuses on end results using metrics and key performance indicators to manage performance. May lead or contribute to initiatives that enhance the departments performance or lead to process improvement across PPD. Collaborates with clinical operations senior management and executive staff on strategic planning and business development as required. Acts as point-of-escalation regarding performance concerns and training needs to ensure adherence to PPD SOPs and WPDs. Works in collaboration with the leadership team for resourcing needs.
• Manages staff, providing coaching, mentorship and work direction
• Conducts regular performance appraisals and career discussions with staff. Facilitates employee career development. Interviews, recruits and selects staff
• Manages and conducts induction/orientation programs for all new employees, ensuring their smooth assimilation into the company
• Ensures all staff CVs, training records, position profiles and experience profiles are complete and up-to-date. Ensures timeliness and accuracy of timesheets and expense reports
• Supports allocation activities per the local resourcing process. Supports activities of project managers and clinical team managers to optimize the operational running of projects. Escalates appropriately any issues which may impact project deliverables
• Delivers training on Working Practice Documents (WPDs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), local requirements and any other subjects that impact on clinical operations. Identifies training gaps and ensures that training requirements are met. May contribute to development of training programs, where appropriate
• Alerts management to quality issues, request QA audits as appropriate, and facilitate client and internal quality assurance audits as required
• Manages and reviews systems (e.g. CTMS, Preclarus, Clarity) to evaluate employee and project metrics, KPIs and general project status.
• Evaluates work of staff, including conducting PAVs (either remote or on-site) to thoroughly evaluate the employee monitoring skills and project conduction when applicable.
• Participates in process improvement/development initiatives.
• Ensures understanding and facilitation of the risk based monitoring approach.
• May provide input into bids and contribute to the procurement of new business where required.
Education And Experience
Bachelors Degree in a life science related field.
Significant clinical research experience (comparable to 5+ years) including remote and clinical monitoring and experience in all phases of study life cycle, including start up, interim and close out.
Line management experience appropriate to the size and complexity of the clinical management group in the designated country/region.
Valid Drivers License.
In some cases an equivalency, consisting of a combination of appropriate education, training and/or directly related experience, will be considered sufficient for an individual to meet the requirements of the role.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
• Excellent mentoring/leadership/supervisory skills
• Advanced knowledge of clinical trials monitoring; Remote and on-site
• Demonstrated understanding of or ability to learn PPD SOPs, WPDs, and relevant regulations (e.g. ICH/GCP, FDA guidelines)
• Demonstrated ability to evaluate medical research data
• Strong organizational and negotiation skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Effective written and oral communication skills
• Good knowledge of English language and grammar
• Competent use of computer to include data entry, archival and retrieval
• Ability to travel as needed
• Excellent team player with team building skills
• Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
• Ability to utilize problem-solving techniques applicable to constantly changing environment
• Solid knowledge of medical/therapeutic areas and medical terminology
PPD values the health and wellbeing of our employees. We support and encourage individuals to create a healthy and balanced environment where they can thrive. Below is listed the working environment/requirements for this role:
Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable manner.
Able to work upright and stationary for typical working hours.
Able to work in non-traditional work environments.
Able to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency.
Able to perform successfully under pressure while prioritizing and handling multiple projects or activities.
May have exposure to potentially hazardous elements typically found in healthcare or laboratory environments.
This role requires independent travel up to 40%, inclusive of traveling in automobiles, airplanes, and trains.
PPD Defining Principles
• We have a strong will to win - We earn our customer’s trust - We are game changers - We do the right thing - We are one PPD
If you resonate with our five principles above, and ultimately wish to accelerate the delivery of safe and effective therapeutics for some of the world’s most urgent health needs, then please submit your application – we’d love to hear from you