Through VCP, we help veterinary professionals with their clients, enabling them to sell more products and services while building loyalty and compliance, ensuring healthier pets and a healthy bottom line. Using our robust, enterprise-grade technology platform we provide the software and professional services that enable the successful implementation of a full “Program of Wellness” which includes the practice and business of wellness. We provide the direction, software, analytics and management expertise at each stage to educate, simplify and grow wellness programs to become a dynamic business strategy to differentiate the practice and enable long-term growth.
Our tech stack is pretty cool, with some really interesting work lined up for the next few years. The product team is a fun, super-smart group of people excited about our mission of helping pet owners better care for their companions. If you are a curious technologist with the proven chops for solving big problems in distributed computing, please drop us a line and let’s talk!
This role can be remote.
The Senior Software Developer is part of a dynamic, fast-paced technical team and takes a hands-on role working with both existing and new software product development. As a team member, you take ownership of your individual responsibilities and are comfortable working with minimal supervision. You’ll dedicate yourself to constantly challenging yourself to grow your skill set and expertise, including current knowledge around emerging technologies, trends, and standards.
Tasks / Responsibilities:
• Define product features by reviewing program objective, and output requirements with other analyst, internal and external clients.
• Think creatively and conceptually on new ideas and digital solutions.
• Maintain historical records by documenting program development and revisions.
• Particulate in full software development life cycle process to develop innovative cloud-based application.
• Develop performant, robust, scalable, and elegant solutions to engineering problems.
• Apply current software engineering practices, and design patterns to design, build and test a highly scalable system.
• Write well designed, efficient, maintainable, and testable code.
• Test application including writing automated tests.
• Prepare reference for users by writing operating instructions.
• Use AWS cloud platform for deployments.
• Lead other team members on a project by project basis including code reviews, and enforcement of coding standards. Provide technical advice to other team members.
• Arrange project requirements in programming sequence by analyzing requirements, preparing a workflow chart, diagram, and technical specifications using knowledge of the software platform, subject matter, and computer/deployment platform capabilities.
• Thinks creatively and conceptually on new ideas and digital solutions.
• Ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• 6+ years experience working in an Agile environment.
• Strong knowledge in developing and deploying Java-based web applications leveraging Tomcat, the Spring Framework, Servlets, Hibernate, and XML
• Working knowledge of RDBMS and SQL, and experience with Oracle and PLSQL, as well as reporting engines like BIRT
• Experience writing test scripts using Junit, Geb or Spock
• A strong ability to learn and adapt to new technologies.
• Enjoy developing performant, robust, scalable, and elegant solutions to engineering problems.
• The self-motivation to deliver awesome work focused on technology and our clients.
• Experience with and business knowledge of financial management software such as accounting, subscription billing, payment processing, or credit and collections systems
• Can take direction and is also open to constructive criticism from the team.
• Able to work independently or with teams on projects.
• Takes initiative to learn and grow in new areas.
Preferred Experience/ Minimum Qualifications:
• Bachelors degree or higher in Computer Science or other technical discipline. 6+ years of experience in software development
• Excellent communications and documentation skills (Proficient written and verbal English communication skills)
• Team player - flexible and comfortable being asked to assist with a variety of tasks
• General understanding of the SaaS model for technology delivery
• Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
Covetrus is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Additional Requirements: Must be fully vaccinated and remain fully vaccinated against COVID-19.*
• Per the CDC, fully vaccinated means at least 2 weeks after (1) a second dose in a 2-dose series, or (2) a single-dose vaccine, and this status and definition applies to COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized for emergency use or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration