Join the team as our next Staff, Software Engineer (L4) on our Libraries and Instrumentation team
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although were headquartered in San Francisco, were on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and were looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to build software that brings more than 2 billion events at greater than 1 million requests per second into Segment from millions of devices so that we can make rich data accessible to our customers. From startups to Fortune 100, businesses of all sizes rely on the Segment Platform to deliver data downstream into hundreds of streaming integrations and thousands of customer data warehouses. Instrumentation is the gateway to getting all data into Segment, which enables us to deliver amazing digital customer experiences.
While our analytics.js library has been around since day one, we believe it is time for us to make a step-change around how our customers add analytics to their applications and build the next generation of our instrumentation platform. This means we need to go deep and think about how applications are built, how their runtimes operate, as well as improve the developer experience of integrating with Segment.
In this role, you’ll:
• Be a technical leader, and navigate through all phases of challenging and complex projects
• Write reusable libraries and SDKs that will be used by other developers and care about developer experience
• Write code that runs on browsers, lower in the stack than frameworks like React or Vue
• Keep up with the latest changes in the web standards
• Care about writing code that is optimized for performance and can run in a variety of browsers, and conditions
• Mentor and grow other team members
• Know when it’s time to refactor and when its time to ship.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasnt followed a traditional path, dont let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
• You have experience debugging complex issues in a variety of browsers
• You have experience measuring and optimizing the performance of web applications or libraries
• Nice to have: experience at maintaining and contributing to open source projects.
• Nice to have: worked in a professional environment on scalable, cloud-based distributed systems.
• Nice to have: experience writing Node.js applications.
This role will be remote and based in the USA.
No travel is required for this position.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. Thats why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if youre ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isnt what youre looking for, please consider other open positions.
• Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
• If you are a Colorado applicant:
• The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $132,928- 166,160
• Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilios equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.